I liked about half of these stories. The others were interesting enough, but not mind-blowing. I noticed I was not touched by those in which devilish objects were involved (The Mangler, Trucks, The Lawnmower Man
My favorites, more or less in order:Jerusalem’s Lot
- seems to be a prequel to Salem's Lot
, which I plan to read soon. This one was really creepy and deserves 5 stars. Children of the Corn
- what can happen if you go off the main road and stumble upon a deserted village. The wise thing is to drive as far and possible and not stop to investigate! 5 stars, too. I Am the Doorway
- sometimes you can come back from a space travel with something more, which starts to manifest in a strange and far from friendly way... The Ledge
- This story was so intense that I was averting my eyes like I was watching a movie! The ending was rewarding, though.One for the Road
- I understand this is a sequel to Salem's Lot
. Gray Matter
- what can happen if you drink beer from a punctured can (you know, bacteria and stuff).Night Surf
- a post-apocalyptic story about a few survivors of a very common illness. Quitters, Inc.
- if you want to quit smoking, you could contact Quitters, Inc., although I don't recommend it, as their methods are far from being normal.I Know What You Need
- if a girl finds the man of her dreams, there's definitely something wrong with him! The Last Rung on the Ladder
- this was less a strange story and more a lesson on what people expect from you and the consequences of not fulfilling it.The Boogeyman
- if your children tell you there's something in the closet, you should better listen to them. Better still, move out of the house!